Did you know new research has found that employees for businesses that adopt eco-friendly practices were 16% more productive than employees for businesses that don’t?
Magali Delmas, co-author of the study said “It’s good for your employees and it’s good for your bottom line. Employees in such green firms are more motivated, receive more training and benefit from better interpersonal relationships. The employees at green companies are therefore more productive than in more conventional firms”.
The researchers suggest that the boost in productivity can be related to employees seeing green companies as a sign of a positive work environment that encourages cooperation between workers.
Here at Ecocleen Head Office we have put together some of our Top Tips on how you can follow in our Big Green Footsteps. We are always trying to think of new innovative ways to improve not only our carbon footprint but a happier, healthier team.
1. Save Your Energy - Most companies use electronics to run their business. You all know that electronic devices use up energy, energy costs money and damages your carbon footprint. But, we all rely on them heavily for our day to day work. We have a few simple things you can do to reduce this use of wasted energy.
- Set computers to energy-saving mode.
- Switch Off, properly switch off, we aren’t talking about just hitting stand by when you’re in a rush. ‘Stand By’ continues to draw power even when you’re not using it.
- Get a Smart Power Strip, this switches off all your devices when not in use.
2. The Digital Era - We have so much amazing technology in this ‘digital age’ yet we throw away copious amounts of paper. The greenest paper is no paper at all, so keep things digital and dematerialized whenever possible.
3. Travel the Green Brick Road - Some companies give bonuses to employees that ride a bike or carpool to work.
4. Reduce Re-use Recycled - Some Paper use can’t be avoided. So, when you absolutely have to, use recycled paper and envelopes that have been processed and coloured using eco-friendly methods.
5. Work Space - Redesign the workplace. Making your work environment greener has endless possibilities. Start with good furniture, good lighting and good air.
-Furniture can be manufactured from recycled materials as well as recyclable. Find companies that use the Cradle-to-Cradle concept like Herman-Miller and Steelcase.
-Replace your Incandescent bulbs with fluorescents and high end LED desk lamps that use only tiny amounts of energy.
-Work space air quality plays a huge part in employees’ health. Good ventilation and low-VOC paints and materials (such as carpet and furniture) will help improve this.
6. It’s Lunch Time - Popping out to the shops to get your lunch everyday can cost you a lot of money in the long run and use up a lot of paper (Sandwich Boxes). If you make your own lunch and bring it into work in re-usable containers reduces waste and saves you money.
Is your office jumping on the eco band wagon? If so, send us some pics of how your office is turning Eco! Pop an email to email@example.com